Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Rides for 2011

These long dark evenings have me thinking about what bike rides, organized or not, I'd like to do for 2011. Here are some of the thoughts that bubbled up.

Multi-day cross-state rides appeal to me because I will be able to say I rode across such-and-such state. I rode across Indiana last July, but that was a one-day event. I've been thinking about a fatter state, like Iowa or Kansas, or traveling the length of a state like Wisconsin.

Loop rides lasting several days are appealing also, like the Tour de Kota, or the Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure, or riding around the Finger Lakes region in New York.

I like destination rides also, like riding to the Michigan state line (done that many, many times). For some strange reason, I've always wanted to ride to Toledo, Ohio, which isn't too far away, I've just never ridden there before. I'd stop and eat a couple dogs from Tony Packo's. I've always wanted to ride to the Mackinac Bridge, and to Wausau, Wisconsin, where we used to live.

All of these rides are not very far away from me, but I'd be willing to travel for a good ride. The Colorado Rocky Mountain Bicycle Tour sounds cool, but I have no experience riding in the mountains, and I'm afraid a ride like that would kill me.

If you know of any bike rides of any kind you have enjoyed, please let me know.

Happy riding!

11 comments:

Oldfool said...

Interesting rides? I had one today. The semi hanging on his air horn (I was in the lane behind a line of stopped cars waiting for a light and signaling a left turn) didn't run over me and the idiot so intent on grabbing a parking space in a lot full of pedestrians slammed on his brakes just in time to not run over me. The only fun I had was the look on that idiots face. Of course he now hates all bicycles and will probably run over his own kid in his driveway.

Anonymous said...

I've been making a small list of rides for 2011 too, most of them just ones I plan myself, but two that are on scheduled dates. Time goes so fast that I don't want to be sitting here this time next year, asking myself why didn't I plan things better.

Big Oak said...

Oldfool - Well that was an interesting ride, maybe not EXACTLY what I had in mind. I'm glad you weren't hurt.

PaddyAnne - I know what you mean, 2010 went by so quickly, I want to plan ahead better this year.

jeff said...

They all sound like great rides. You know I'm with you on the rides across or around different states. And I wasn't sure I could handle Colorado either, but I'm so glad I gave it a go. Merry Christmas and good riding in 2011!

Big Oak said...

Thanks Jeff - I hope you have a great 2011 also!

Apertome said...

Bill, they all sound like good rides. I thought about doing the finger lakes tour when we lived in PA, but I ended up not doing it.

The CO rides you mentioned are a long-term goal for me. I haven't given that much thought to next year yet, though.

rlove2bike said...

Having to use vaction time from work has been the stopper for me. That may change in the near future, and if it does, I plan on doing some of the very rides you mentioned. The ride in Indiana you did last year was no push over, so I think you could handle any of them you wanted to do. From our family to yours, we wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Big Oak said...

Micheal - I think you're riding in a good area (hilly) which will help you in the mountains.

rlove2bike - thank you, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family as well!

Anonymous said...

I've done BAK twice, and really enjoyed it both times. The downside of it is the stinking 8-9 hour bus ride across the state. Kansas is a BIG state.

I'm thinking of Ride the Rockies (1st choice if I can get in the lottery for it) or TRIRI this year. I'm also toying with the idea of a tandem tour down the Natchez Trace, but that one's a logistical nightmare.

Anonymous said...

Oh...forgot about the Michigan Shoreline Tour. It ends right at the Mackinac bridge. We did it on the tandem a few years ago, and it's probably the best ride we've taken. Lots of great scenary and nicely supported.

Killer for us, however, was the 18 hour drive from here.

Big Oak said...

Tracy - thanks for the notes. I forgot to mention the TRIRI (The Ride In Rural Indiana). If you've not done that ride before, you're in for some beautiful scenery, with quite a few hills. I've not done the ride myself, but I'm familiar with the roads on much of the route.

The shoreline tour looks very appealing. New Buffalo is only two hours away. I just need to figure out how to get home from Mackinaw City.