Monday, March 2, 2009

Oh no, it broke!

I twisted the crank extractor to the point the bolt broke. I had a 4 foot pipe lever on the crank arm and an extra large crescent wrench on the extractor. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the crank arm off.

I bought this crank arm extractor tonight from my LBS. This baby pulled the crank right off, although it took considerable effort. 4 foot levers are wonderful! I ordered a bottom bracket tool to extract the bottom bracket. It won't get here until Wednesday.

Simple Green solution strikes again!

Not looking too bad, although the teeth are showing some wear.

The cap bolt is showing some rust.

I tried the aluminum foil and water trick to see if it would work.

Yes it works! Still a little rust in the corners of the hex, but looks a lot better.

Now for that bottom bracket... Think I'll work on that when I get my bottom bracket tool.

No comments: