Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cycling? No! Helping others? Yes!

Some pre-emptive  notes I'm documenting here before Lance's interview with Oprah:

OK, Lance lied.  Big deal - so many others took performance enhancing drugs also.

What really bugs me is the way he vehemently denied taking performance enhancing drugs for such a long time.  And that he had no apparent qualms working to demolish the reputations of other cyclists and journalists.

I believe that when it comes to competition in any kind of sport, Lance should not ever be trusted again.

What is difficult for me to reconcile is that I believe he did great work with Livestrong, and that Livestrong continues as a great organization which helps many, many people.  That work should never offset Lance's cheating.

As far as cycling, running, and triathlons, his lifelong ban should remain.  He can still do great things helping people, just not through competition.

I feel much better now.  I'm going to head out and spend some time on my bike trainer. 

Happy riding!


3 comments:

rlove2bike said...

And yes, I probably should reserve judgement, but the part that bothers me most is that I bought and read all of his books. I feel he used those books to profess his innocence and I have been suckered...wasted money I did. I brewed a small pot of coffee just so I could watch tonight. That should keep me up to the wee hours of the morning. hehe

Thanks for posting,
RL

Wilson said...

Not like the old days. By that I mean the 80's. However I realize that they were users back then as well.
I still kind of like Lance because of his mettle - no drug can give you that. What bugs me is the way he treated others, like Landis, when calling them pathological.
Armstrong's error was not small but everyone gets a chance at redemption. Still, he has A LOT of apologizing to do!

Steve A said...

Drugs are nothing new...