Sunday, June 28, 2009

Decatur Flat Fifty Plus

I rode the Decatur Flat Fifty Plus yesterday. Decatur's only 30 miles from home, so I thought I should ride it since it's so close. It turned out to be a great ride. In fact, in 1999 it was given the distinction of "best Country Tour in all of America!" What I liked about this ride was the lack of traffic.

The morning started off sunny and warm.


Shortly after we left Decatur, we headed into Ohio. You know how the grass is always greener...? It's pretty brown here. Actually, this is winter wheat almost ready for harvest.


When we did encounter traffic, it was usually horse-drawn. There were many buggies and wagons that were leading spare horses - something I don't see very often in the Amish community near my home.


Back in Indiana. This is going to be a good year for corn if it doesn't turn dry the second half of July and August like it did last year. The saying used to be "knee-high by the 4th of July". This corn will be head-high by next week.


A covered bridge - had to take its picture.


This was my favorite SAG stop. That's quite a distinction as I like ALL SAG stops.


This bluegrass band was outstanding.


We eventually headed into Berne, Indiana, a Swiss community. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera ready when we crossed busy Main Street with all of the Swiss architecture. Berne is small enough that if you aren't ready, you'll be through it before you know it.


And back to Bellmont High School. I rode the 100 mile route, which was 4 extra loops around each SAG stop. There were a lot of riders on the main route, but almost no one else on the 100 mile loops. It got pretty lonely out there.


Happy riding!

No comments: