Saturday, May 23, 2009

Rivergreenway Ramble

Alex and I rode part of the Fort Wayne Rivergreenway today. The St. Joseph River from the north meets the St. Marys River from the south to form the Maumee River in the heart of downtown Fort Wayne. The Fort Wayne Parks Department built the Rivergreenway paths along all three rivers in Fort Wayne.

Here's the north end just south of Johnny Appleseed Park.


This is a floodwall that was built along the St. Joseph River. The Rivergreenway follows along the top of the floodwall for many miles.


This is Historic Fort Wayne, a replica of the fifth and final fort at Fort Wayne. I worked here as a soldier in the summers of 1980 and '81 while I was in college.


Looking across the St. Joe River, Don Hall's Gas House (a restaurant) has a deck right on the river. The restaurant is located just north of where the original fifth fort was located, and is next to the location of a former basin on the Wabash and Erie Canal. The basin was essentially a parking lot for canal boats where goods were loaded and unloaded.


Across Spy Run Avenue from the fort, I took a photo of downtown.


The temperature got up into the low 80's today - a beautiful day to get out on the bikes.

6 comments:

Doohickie said...

Very cool pics. Reminds me of some of the rambles that Rat Trap Press has documented on his blog.

Paddy's Peleton said...

What fantastic bike paths you have in your neck of the woods

Big Oak said...

Doohickie - yes I received inspiration from his blog and yours as well.

Paddy - I've visited your site from your brother Philip's site. I've added you to my blog list, hope you don't mind.

Jon said...

Man, that looks like it was a pleasant ride. Life on the bike can be pretty good, eh?

Big Oak said...

You betcha Jon, you betcha!

jeff said...

I like riding on roads out in the country, but sometimes it's fun to enjoy the ever-growing system of trails around here. I like that your trials let you enjoy safely riding so close to the city center.